When it comes to winter, I could quite happily live almost completely on just soups. But when it’s summer, bring me this crave-worthy broccoli salad with avocado dressing (yummy!).
And I feel that way even more strongly now that I know the benefits of a raw food diet, thanks mostly to my bestie – a qualified raw food teacher who has passed on valuable information to me. Most days I eat a “raw till 4 o’clock” diet, but during the summer I have no problem eating raw all day.
My kitchen is packed with fresh seasonal fruit and veggies, which means I barely ever open my freezer unless I’m going for some ice.
Broccoli Salads Are Nutrition Superstars
Broccoli salads are a fun way to give your body all the essential nutrients it needs, without losing any of the nutrients in those fresh foods by cooking them.
Crave-worthy Broccoli Salad – The Ingredients
The Fresh Produce
This broccoli salad is packed with delicious veggies:
- Broccoli provides valuable micronutrients, antioxidants, and fiber (2),
- Cabbage offers disease-fighting properties plus a good dose of fiber (3).
- Pickled beetroot has powerful anti-inflammatory powers (4)
- Carrots contain plenty of natural beta carotene, and cucumbers help hydration levels.
Offering even more fiber, brown rice stimulates your body to flush out the toxins, old estrogens and cholesterol, preventing them to leak back into your system (5).
I like to use sprouted brown rice to increase its mineral load and to make it easier to digest and process.
The fruit-queen of monounsaturated fats, this is probably the item I use most often in my kitchen, thanks to its neutral taste, creaminess and exceptional health benefits.
Instead of just eating this on occasion, try eating this broccoli salad for three days in a row for maximum effect.
During that time, try to stay away from processed foods, coffee and alcohol, and add more fruit and other veggies to your diet. Another raw-food salad you might want to try is my Glowing Skin Salad, which is packed with even more fresh fruits and veggies.
When you have that renewed health and energy back, try to keep your momentum going.Print
Crave-worthy Broccoli Salad Bowl with Avocado Dressing
- Yield: 2 1x
For the broccoli salad
- 1 small broccoli head, cut into small florets
- 1/2 medium red cabbage heat, diced
- 1 small red beet, grated, or 3–4 pieces pickled beets
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 cucumber, cut into small cubes
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked organic sprouted brown rice
For the avocado dressing
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup purified water
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Add all the salad ingredients into a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Add the dressing ingredients into a blender and process to obtain a creamy texture.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix to combine.
- Serve immediately.