In summer, with all the time spent in the sunshine and all the healthy fruits and veggies lining the stands at the local farmer’s market, light and easy, nourishing meals are becoming a habit for me. Wraps, veggie burgers, and refreshing drinks are all on the list, but my favorite summer word of all is definitely “salad.”
Fresh, ripe ingredients in season, whole grains and beans, vibrant greens—I can’t get enough of all the fresh goodness! While at home, I throw ingredients into a bowl and have my salad ready in minutes, so for outdoor lunches and picnics, making my salads in a jar seems only natural.
There aren’t any strict rules for creating the perfect salad in a jar. You can throw together just about any of your favorite ingredients, as long as you layer them the right way. To keep everything fresh, tasty, and ready to be dumped out into a big bowl, here’s how they should be layered:
-Dressing comes first, on the bottom of the jar. You want to keep it as far as possible from the fresh ingredients like leaves that can be softened by the acidity of the dressing.
-Beans, grains, cereals, seeds, or tofu comes next. Whatever your preferred protein, it should go in as the second layer so it can marinate in the flavors of the dressing.
-Next, add extra ingredients like fruits and veggies. Try onions, sweet corn, avocado, root vegetables, fruits, or nori seaweed.
-Last, add the fresh leaves and aromatic herbs as the top layer.
This particular salad recipe was thought up especially for BBQ parties, because it’s satiating and full of flavor. It goes really well with tacos, which, in my opinion, are the ultimate party food. The key player here is black beans, which are loaded with protein and fiber, making them a great ingredient for a healthy, filling salad. Beans are actually perfect to include in your everyday diet, because all that fiber is great for your colon, and a healthy colon makes a happy YOU.
This salad combines black beans with sweet corn, avocado, and parsley, creating a nutritionally-balanced meal loaded with fiber, protein, carbohydrates, healthy fats, and antioxidants.
(You may also like: Mexican Street Corn Soup)Print
Mexican Sweet Corn Salad in a Jar (yummy!)
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1 can cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 sweet corn cobs, grilled
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 ripe tomato, finely diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 bunches fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp organic raw honey
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- Pinch sea salt
- Cut the kernels from the sweet corn cobs and transfer into a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the chopped parsley with cucumber and red chili flakes.
- Add the tomato and red onion, and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients and divide evenly into serving jars.
- Add the black beans, top with avocado slices and sweet corn salad.
- Make the last layer by adding the chopped parsley and cucumber.
- Lid the jar and refrigerate until serving or pack to-go.