Quinoa is a trendy food right now, and for good reason. This nutritious seed is gluten free and really tasty, and it’s perfect for adding to dozens of different dishes. I especially love quinoa in this simple green quinoa salad with kale, asparagus, and a tahini dressing.
Quinoa is high in protein, making it a great high-quality nutrient source for vegans and vegetarians. Making quinoa and other whole foods a part of your diet helps to support your body’s natural detox processes.
One of the things I love best about quinoa is how easy to prepare and versatile it is. I can add it to soups, stews, salads, and breakfast bowls! This gluten-free seed will enrich the nutritional value of any of your already-healthy dishes, and with its mildly nutty flavor, it easily absorbs the flavors of other ingredients and seasonings you combine it with.
Apart from quinoa’s high concentrations of essential amino acids (including the rare lysine and isoleucine), it also contains a unique combination of phytonutrients with extensive antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action, including Vitamin E, flavonoids, and Omega-3 fatty acids. Manganese, phosphorus, zinc, copper, magnesium, and other minerals are also packed in there, and they have important roles in promoting healthy cell activity within your body.
Last but not least, the fiber in quinoa keeps you satiated and nourishes the good bacteria in your colon.
While quinoa tabbouleh and simple tomato, cucumber, and quinoa salads are my favorite combinations, I love to play with ingredients. That’s how I came up with this very green quinoa salad with kale and asparagus. This combo is a detox delight!
Kale is a nutrient powerhouse with detoxifying properties, while asparagus is rich in Vitamin K, selenium, and B Vitamins—particularly folate. The fiber in asparagus feeds healthy bacteria in your colon, and you know I’m all about supporting colon health.
So enjoy this healthy and tasty salad, knowing it’s nourishing your body and soul.
The Best Kale Quinoa Salad with Lemon Garlic Dressing
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup fresh kale leaves, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 asparagus spears, cut into ribbons using a mandolin
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, crushed
For the dressing:
- 2 tsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp purified water
- Pinch sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Add quinoa in a medium saucepan together with 2 cups of purified water, bring to boil over medium heat, then simmer over low heat until it absorbs all the water.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl add the chopped kale, onion, asparagus ribbons, and crushed almonds and toss to combine.
- Add all the dressing ingredients into the blender and process to turn them into a creamy sauce.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss to combine, and serve.