Broccoli, like other popular cruciferous relatives (kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts) is a key ingredient in all detox diets. Its sulphur compounds activate both phases of detoxification via the liver, supporting its function as a metabolizer and neutralizer of toxins. Cooking diminishes the amount of sulphur compounds, and especially in detox diets broccoli is best consumed raw. This Caesar detox salad comes with a crunchy texture, rich dressing, and loads of nutrients to nourish your body.
Cleansing Broccoli Caesar Salad
- For the salad
- 1 medium broccoli head, cut in small florets
- 1 cup mixed greens (watercress, spinach, rocket or any other available)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- Mixed seeds, to garnish
- For the dressing
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked overnight
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp tahini
- A pinch sea salt
- Place all the dressing ingredients in the blender and pulse to obtain a smooth, rich liquid. Add more water to obtain the desired consistency.
- In a large bowl add broccoli, greens and onion. Add the dressing and mix to combine.
- Top with mixed seeds and serve.