Pumpkin Soup with Turmeric
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 anise star
- 1 inch ginger knob, peeled and grated
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- To garnish: black cumin, fresh aromatic herbs, chopped (basil or sage)
- In a large soup pot heat the coconut oil, add the onion and garlic and cook for five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the pumpkin cubes, red chili flakes, turmeric, cinnamon and anise and cook for another five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk, bring to boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to the blender and pulse to obtain a creamy liquid.
- Add the lemon juice and pulse to incorporate.
- Pour into serving bowls, garnish with black cumin and herbs, and serve warm.