I quit refined sugar quite a while ago and even for dinners with my friends I make raw desserts which always get rave reviews. Quitting refined sugar is one of the major steps for a healthier diet. It balances the pH within your system and helps support the natural detox function of your body.
It’s not like you’re never going to eat sweets or chocolate again, but it gets you to search for healthier alternatives with delicious taste and nourishing properties. These Matcha chocolate balls are the perfect example of a healthy, and actually detoxifying, dessert. It contains an exceptional amount of phytonutrients to stimulate your cells’ detox and yes, they taste absolutely delicious!
The combination of the Japanese Matcha green tea powder and raw cacao creates a true antioxidant powerhouse. Matcha powder is made from green tea leaves, and preserves all the antioxidant properties of green tea in higher concentrations. Matcha stimulates the healthy activity of your body’s cells, boosts mood, and brings awareness to your mind. This is why Zen Buddhists serve it before their meditation practice. It calms your body and detoxifies it naturally, thanks to its high content of chlorophyll and dietary fiber.
Raw cacao powder is another antioxidant and mood boosting superstar. It contains high concentrations of phytonutrients called flavonoids, comparable with the ones in red wine or green tea. These provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory protection against oxidative stress caused by free radicals, thereby slowing down the aging process and reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer.
Raw cacao also contains the essential mineral magnesium, vital for the healthy activity of your cells, and vitamin A, which your body metabolizes into beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant.
Combine these two detoxifying nutrients with oats for a good dose of dietary fiber and almond butter, and a healthy serving of monounsaturated fat and protein, to create a delicious and nourishing raw dessert.
Detoxifying Matcha Green Tea Chocolate Balls
- Yield: 6-8 balls 1x
- Category: Raw
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder, plus extra for coating
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ cup dry pitted dates, soaked in purified water for at least one hour
- 1 tsp matcha powder, for coating
- In a food processor add the sunflower seeds and process to finely ground them.
- Add the oats, almond butter, coconut oil, drained pitted dates and cacao, and pulse to incorporate and obtain a sticky crumble.
- On a plate add matcha powder and cacao powder, then use your palms to shape the mixture in little bowls and roll them alternatively onto matcha and cacao powder, to coat evenly.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.