Less popular than other grains, barley contains two key elements that help a detox – fiber and selenium. Fiber, both soluble and insoluble, reduces the amount of time toxins spend in contact with your body. It feeds the good bacteria in your colon, improves digestion, and helps flush out toxins, cholesterol and oestrogens metabolized in the liver, preventing them from leaking back into the circulatory system. Dates also contain high amounts of fiber and potassium, necessary for eliminating excess sodium. Combine them with barley in a warming vegan breakfast that will help your body detox naturally.
High Fiber Breakfast with Barley and Dried Dates
- 1 cup whole barley berries
- 6–8 dry pitted dates, soaked overnight
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Unsweetened dessicated coconut, sunflower seeds and chia seeds, for garnishing
- In a sauce pan add the barley berries and just enough water to cover them.
- Place over medium heat, bring to boil then simmer for 15 minutes, until the barley absorbs all the water.
- Add the almond milk and dates, bring to boil then distribute evenly into the serving bowls and serve garnished with coconut flakes, chia and sunflower seeds.