While I love having a light and quick smoothie before workouts, there are days when I need to savor every little spoon of what I’m having for breakfast, and that’s when I make smoothie bowls. While traditional smoothies need to be very well balanced so you can easily sip them, in smoothie bowls you can include more nourishing foods like healthy fats, fruits, nuts and seeds, coconut or extra toppings. This green smoothie bowl is not only topped with delicious goodies, but it’s also my favorite way of preparing for a difficult week. It nourishes my bodies cells, it helps the natural detoxifying function of my body and gives me tons of energy!
When it comes to detox smoothies, I always prefer the green ones, because they’re loaded with minerals, antioxidants and chlorophyll, which nourish and oxygenate the liver cells, providing great support for detoxification.
My favorite ingredients for green detox smoothies are:
1. Avocados - they’re rich in glutathione, the master antioxidant, and fiber, which helps to flush out toxins. They also contain key minerals (potassium and magnesium), vitamins and healthy monounsaturated fats. I also love avocados because they give a gorgeous color and creamy texture to smoothies.
2. Cucumbers - these have diuretic properties, helping you reduce water retention. They contain vitamins (K, B6), minerals and also antioxidants. Cucumbers give a fresh flavor to smoothies.
3. Fresh greens - kale, spinach, beet greens, parsley, chard, they all do wonders for our bodies, nourishing and helping them detox naturally. Besides minerals and vitamins, fresh greens contain chlorophyll which offer oxygen and energy to the bodies cells, promotes cleansing, protects the colon cells against toxins and have super potent antioxidant activity.
Every time I use the combined forces of these nourishing ingredients in my smoothies, my body vibrates with energy and it feels absolutely amazing! You can combine them in any proportion you want, and add any topping you prefer. The most important thing is to stay green for a good cleanse and detox. I also love to use coconut water for making the green smoothies, because it gives a sweet taste and an extra potassium-kick for healthy cell activity.
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut in cubes
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 small cucumber, cut in cubes
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp almond flakes
- Blend all ingredients to obtain a creamy, dense texture.
- Pour the smoothie in a bowl, and top with chia seeds, coconut and almonds.
- Eat straight away to take the maximum benefits from the powerful nutrients.
P.S. Make sure to sign up for our free newsletter to get instant access to our 1 Day Detox and Detox Waters eBook (it's free).
+ Take a look at the Detox Recipe Book. With over 195 detox recipes and 28 day meal plan, it is the only detox book you will ever need.
You may also like: